Industrial relevance and academic excellence are difficult to
measure. However, a rough estimation of the quality of the CHARMEC
research can be had by studying
- Willingness of industry to further support the research
- Papers accepted by international refereed journals and conferences
- Academic degrees earned
In all these areas, we believe that CHARMEC has been
CHARMEC's 3rd international evaluation took place in March, 2003. A
evaluators was appointed by VINNOVA:
- Prof John S Baras of University of Maryland (USA)
- Prof Cesar Dopazo of CIEMAT, Madrid (SPAIN)
- Dr Robert D Fröhling of Spoornet Engineering, Pretoria
- Prof Dudley Roach of Rail CRE, Rockhampton (AUSTRALIA)
- Prof Per Stenius, Helsinki University, Helsingfors (FINLAND)
The report from the evaluation group was very positive. Some
- "CHARMEC has established an internationally recognized
multidisciplinary Centre of Excellence in railway mechanics with a
critical mass of senior research competence. Based on good project
management and engineering expertise, excellent results are achieved on
vital projects within the railway industry. CHARMEC has been recognized
by its industry partners for its international contact network by which
they obtain access to the global railway business."
- "CHARMEC has reached over the critical mass and has established
itself as an attractor for new PhD students and senior investigators.
Academic indicators of excellence have also been met both in
qualitative and quantitative terms. The continued strong support of the
participating industries is a sign of a lively scientific and technical
dynamics. Being invited to join industrial/university consortia for
participation at the EU Sixth Framework Programme, attracting new
industrial partners, cooperating with EU companies and being consulted
by Deutsche Bahn on the 1998 high speed train Eschede accident are
significant and worth mentioning distinctions."
The full report is
available on-line, as is the previous
evaluation conducted in March 2000.
Reports and Papers
- Research degrees gained within the field of railway mechanics
at Chalmers are included in the list of researchers at CHARMEC.
- Over the years the railway researchers at CHARMEC have built up a
comprehensive contact world-wide network through conference
seminars, working groups, joint projects and personal visits.
EU R&D projects
- At the time of writing (March 2009 CHARMEC participates (has
participated) in 9 EU-projects and one European Network of Excellence
in railway mechanics. See the research page